- This event has passed.
13th Annual Rotary Charity Duck Race and Sounds of Summer Concert
June 1, 2019 @ 5:00 pm - 9:00 pmFree
The Rotary Club of Daniel Island and other participating Rotary Clubs in the Charleston area will hold the 13th Annual Charity Duck Race, at Smythe Lake/Park on Daniel Island on Saturday, June 1st, 2019. Established by the Rotary Club of Daniel Island in 2007, this fundraising event has grown each year since and now includes the following other Rotary Clubs in the greater Charleston area: Johns Island, Mt. Pleasant, North Charleston Breakfast, North Charleston, and the Summerville clubs. This year’s race will again be combined with the Daniel Island Property Owners Association’s “Sounds of Summer” concert, featuring the band Soul Fish. There will be food trucks, face painters, magicians, jugglers, a balloon station and balloon artists. Bring the whole family and join in the fun.
The proceeds from this event are used to fund Rotary community service programs locally and around the world. Each of the participating Rotary clubs is designating one or more low country charities as named beneficiaries of the duck race. These charities represent a wide selection of local nonprofit organizations focused on health and wellness, hunger and nutrition, housing and shelter, children and families, and education and literacy. Over the past 12 years, this event has raised over 1.5 million dollars for local beneficiaries and Rotary projects worldwide.
- Kids Activities & Food Trucks begin at 5:00 p.m. (Face painting, magic, juggling, balloon station and balloon artists)
- Duck Race begins promptly at 5:00 PM
- Winners announced at 6:00 PM
- “Sounds of Summer” Concert featuring Soul Fish begins at 6:00 PM
We invite you to join us for the Duck Race as well as the free concert, featuring Soul Fish Band.
Bring your lawn chair, beverage of choice and your appetite and kick back and enjoy the great sounds of some wonderful outdoor music while watching those duckies race to the finish line! We’ll have affordable food options available for purchase with several food trucks and food cart vendors at the park, also offering water and nonalcoholic beverages. Keep it simple and easy and purchase your dinner from our vendors!
- Brunch Holiday – Brunch Holiday specializes in Brunch flavours from the South fused with fresh ingredients locally sourced, quality meat and organic produce. Brunch Holiday is proud to say that they won the “Big Food Truck Tip” with Andrew Zimmern on the Food Network, we’re known for our Scotch Eggs, friendly experience and tasty food.
- The Pita Stroller – The Pita Stroller is an authentic Mediterranean food trailer run by 3 sons who have perfected their mother’s Egyptian recipes.
- Cast Iron – Casual, comfort food made from fresh ingredients from local farms with a menu reminiscent of low country cuisine is what Cast Iron specializes in. Proudly serving their Carolina chopped BBQ recipe created by Chef Victor’s mother and voted Washington, D.C.’s “Best BBQ Sandwich” 6 years in a row!
- Dave ‘N’ Dubs – Serves up the classic American hot dog experience: all-beef franks (and veggie dogs, too!) piled high and deep with toppings! Hot Dog!
- King of Pops – Providing all natural hand crafted pops to the low country. Be sure and try our favorites – Depends on what’s in season but some of our favs are Chocolate Sea Salt, Grapefruit Mint, Tangerine Basil, Banana Puddin’, Pineapple Habanero and Strawberry Lemonade among others!
- Kona Ice – The “coolest” party in town will be there serving their refreshing Hawaiian-style shaved ice.
A couple of reminders for everyone:
- Tents – due to the smaller size of the venue, we will not be allowing personal/pop up tents to be put up at this event. We want to maximize the space that we have for our attendees. Please do not stake out or reserve space prior to the event. We encourage everyone to bring a blanket or chairs for their comfort and seating.
- Personal Golf Carts – Golf carts are not allowed in the park. Please unload from the street and park on nearby streets or in the Daniel Island School parking lot.
- Alligators – Please be aware that alligators may be present in the lake. Parents please do not allow your kids or animals to venture to close to the banks of the lake.
- Trash/Personal Items – Please do not leave any trash in bags at your area when you exit the concert as this will attract wildlife and may end up being scattered throughout the park. Thank you for looking around your area and removing all of your trash as well as your personal items that you brought with you. The POA is not responsible for any items left behind after the concert. Any tables, chairs or other personal items (other than those of the event organizers and rental company) that remain, will be removed by the POA staff.
There is no Severe Weather reschedule date for this event. The duck race will take place rain or shine. Should he weather be severe, the Sounds of Summer Concert would be cancelled due to safety reasons (electrical equipment and a stage with musicians on it). Should the concert need to be cancelled we will inform everyone via our website and Facebook page.
- June 1, 2019
5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- Event Categories:
- Aquatics, Charleston, Clubs + Groups, Educational, Kids, Philanthropy, Social Gatherings
- Event Tags:
- charleston events, charleston sc events, daniel island events, daniel island sc events, Featured, philanthropy