A Handy Daniel Island Home Maintenance Checklist
By Brian Connolly
Daniel Island Real Estate Sales Associate
I recently had a gas leak at my Daniel Island home that was found by my handy man. I have two children and it made me wonder what would have happened if he hadn’t been working on some routine maintenance issues and found the leak. It also made me realize how important it is to stay on top of things around the house. Here are some good maintenance reminders that you might find helpful for keeping your island home safe and in tip-top shape!
- Roof: Check the roof and around vents, skylights and chimneys for leaks. Repair as necessary.
- Gutters: Clean the gutters and drain pipes so leaves won’t clog them. Be sure the gutters drain away from the house.
- Fireplace: Clean the fireplace of ashes. Each fall, check the chimney for loose or missing mortar and have the chimney professionally cleaned.
- Filters: Remember to clean or replace filters once a month, or as needed. Check and clean the dryer vent, air conditioner, stove hood and room fans. Keep heating and cooling vents clean and free from furniture and draperies.
- Safety Equipment: Ensure that all smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors, and fire extinguishers are in good working order. Replace batteries in appropriate devices as needed, or at least twice each year. I like to do this when I the clocks in the spring and fall.
- Air Conditioner: (Spring) Have system serviced to keep it running efficiently. No one wants their AC breaking down in 100 degree weather!
- Refrigerator: Make sure your refrigerator door seals are airtight. Run a test by closing the door a dollar bill in the door. If you can pull the bill out easily, the latch may need to be adjusted or the seal may need to be replaced.
- Faucets and Drains: Check for leaky faucets in the kitchen and bathrooms, and clean drains as necessary. Pour 3/4 bleach down each drain followed by running hot water periodically to keep drain fresh and clean. For the kitchen disposal you can use vinegar ice cubes or baking soda to freshen it up.
- Windows and Doors: Seal drafty doors and windows. Repair any small cracks where heating and cooling escapes from a home.
- Siding and Paint: Look for cracks and holes in house siding or paint. Replace caulk if necessary. Pressure wash with bleach periodically and paint or seal decking.
- Storm Windows and Screens: Repair or replace any damaged or missing screens. Wash windows inside and out.
- Hot Water Heater: (Fall) Drain the hot water heater. Remove sediment from the bottom of the tank.
- Irrigation System: (Fall) Winterize system and disconnect for the cold weather months.
- Garage: Test the auto-reverse feature on your garage doors. Having 2 small children makes me feel that this is a safety issue as well as a maintenance issue. Place a piece of wood under the garage door and when the door hits the wood it should automatically go back up. Also test that the side sensors work by placing an item in front of them as the door comes down. Clean out garage each spring.
Brian Connolly has lived, worked and played on Daniel Island for 13 years. Originally from Quincy, MA, he moved to South Carolina to attend the College of Charleston. He now lives on Daniel Island with his wife and two young children. Click here to learn more about Brian’s experience on Daniel Island.