Summer DI Young Philanthropists Contest
The Daniel Island Community Foundation was set up as a vehicle for Daniel Island residents and businesses to fund non-profit initiatives. A resident advisory committee has been established to assist in identifying charitable causes and organizations important to Daniel Island residents. The DI Community Foundation and the resident advisory committee has set up four categories that represent the areas of giving that the community is focused on for the calendar year 2018. Each category lists corresponding non-profit organizations for which we will be fundraising.
Proceeds from fundraising efforts throughout the year, including the proceeds from the DI Kids Young Philanthropists Contest, will be doubled up to $5,000 per non-profit organization when donated via the Daniel Island Community Foundation.
Our featured non-profit organizations for 2018:
- Human Services: East Cooper Meals on Wheels, East Cooper Community Outreach, Lowcountry Food Bank, Sustainability Institute
- Children: Lowcountry Orphan Relief, Darkness to Light, Dee Norton Child Advocacy Center
- Education: Daniel Island School, Philip Simmons High School, Reading Partners
- Nature/Environment: Berkeley County SPCA, Water Missions International, East Cooper Land Trust
- GOAL: Encourage kids to think of ways that they can support local non-profit organizations
- PRIZE: The Young DI Philanthropist that raises the most money through the summer (& donates via the Daniel Island Community Foundation) will win a $100 visa gift card
- CELEBRATION: The top 25 Young DI Philanthropists will be invited to attend a celebration at Skyzone (with free 60 minute jump time)
How to Register for the Contest:
To register for the Summer DI Young Philanthropists Contest, please email Dani Hermann at Danielle.Hermann@dicommunity.org. Your email should include the following information:
- Young Philanthropists’ First and Last Name
- Young Philanthropists’ Age
- Organization that Philanthropist will be fundraising for (please pick one of the featured organizations above)
- Fundraising Idea
- Projected Start Date of Fundraising
- Contest Ends on Friday, August, 16th.
- All fundraising proceeds must be submitted to the POA office by Friday, August 17th.
Submission of Proceeds to Daniel Island Community Foundation:
- Cash or Check Proceeds: If the contestant raises money in the form of cash or checks, they may submit proceeds to the Daniel Island POA office once fundraising has been completed. The contestant will bring one check to the Daniel Island POA office with the amount raised. The check should be made payable to the Daniel Island Community Foundation with “DI Young Philanthropy Contest” written in the memo section. Please do not submit fundraising proceeds until the end of the contest.
- Credit Card/GoFundMe Proceeds: If the contestant raises money using the GoFundMe Page that is currently set up for the organization they are fundraising for, the payments may be made directly on the page. When payment is made through the page, please make sure the person making the donation adds the contestant’s name in the “referred by” portion of the payment. This is the only way we can keep track of contestant proceeds via the website. If there is no “referred by” name filled out, this donation will not be able to count towards contestants fundraising total.
Please do not submit any payments to the Daniel Island Community Foundation until the contest is completed. All proceeds must be in by Friday, August 17th for judging. An announcement will be made on Tuesday, August 21st with the contest winner and top Young DI Philanthropists.
Thank you for helping make a difference.