The Daniel Island Community Fund (DICF) was established as a means for supporting community enhancement programs and philanthropic initiatives on Daniel Island and in the surrounding Cainhoy peninsula communities. This private 501 (c) 4 organization is financially supported by a Community Enhancement Fee on all resale transactions on the island. The structure of the DICF allows its financial resources to grow as the island grows, creating a legacy for the community for generations to come.
The Daniel Island Community Fund’s board is made up of Daniel Island residents, who are involved with all grants made.
Examples of past funding activity include:
- Financial assistance for housing rehabilitation and emergency repairs in several of the underserved communities surrounding Daniel Island.
- Support for various education and youth initiatives at Cainhoy Elementary and Middle School, Junior Achievement and others.
- Bishop England High School scholarships.
- A partnership with the American Red Cross to provide community programming like CPR, first aid and hurricane preparedness training.
- Support and establishment of on-island cultural programs.
For more information about the Daniel Island Community Fund, contact Jane Baker at email@example.com.
2017 DICF Grant Application (download)
2016 Non-Profit Grant Recipients (download)
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
2016 Daniel Island Community Fund Update
By the end of 2016, the Daniel Island Community Fund (DICF) will have awarded more than $577,000 in grant requests and just over $200,000 in community initiatives for a total of $777,000 in charitable giving. This is a 9% increase over grants awarded in 2015.
This year’s Daniel Island Community Fund recipients include:
- Operation Home
- DI Rotary
- DI Swim Team
- Windwood Farms
- Berkeley County Library
- DI School
- Susan G. Komen Foundation
- Golfers for Education
- Lowcountry Food Bank
- Young Life
- Reading Partners
- Bishop England
- Philip Simmons Middle School
- Shotgun Fairies
- Holy Cross Church
- East Cooper Meals on Wheels
- DI Historical Society
- Palmetto Project
- DI Animal Hospital
- American Red Cross
- Cainhoy School
- Children’s Museum
- Junior Achievement
- Charleston Promise Neighborhood Humanities Foundation
- Engaging Creative Minds
- Mission Collective
- Music Battery
The DICF is funded through a half percent enhancement fee that is collected from every real estate transaction on Daniel Island. No money that homeowners pay to their annual property owner assessment goes towards the Community Fund.