Fire Prevention Week
Fire Prevention Week will be recognized this year from October 8th to the 14th with the national theme “Every Second Counts: Plan 2 Ways Out”.
The Charleston Fire Department would like to encourage you take a few moments to review the National Fire Prevention Week website HERE. The site includes information for all ages, activities, and short video clips for you and your family.
A few key points with the message this year:
- Draw a map of your house with all members of the household, marking two exits from each room and a path to the outside from each exit.
- Practice your home fire drill twice a year. Conduct one at night and one during the day with everyone in your home, and practice using different ways out.
- Teach children to escape on their own in case you can’t help them out.
- Make sure the address number on your home is clearly marked and easy for the fire department to find.
- Close doors behind you as you leave – this may slow the spread of smoke, heat, and fire.
- Once you get outside, stay outside. Never go back into a burning building.
Please, take a moment this week to consider your home escape plan with your family and check you smoke alarm. Plan – Prepare – Practice.