2018 DICA Board of Directors Election

TO VALIDATE THE ELECTION, WE MUST HAVE 10% OF THE PROPERTY OWNERS IN DICA PARTICIPATE IN THIS ELECTION. PLEASE VOTE.

We have extended the voting period for your new 2018 DICA Board Members until tomorrow, Wednesday, January 17th at 6:00 pm.

Each household is only allotted one vote. You may choose 2 of the 6 candidates. If you have multiple DICA properties, you still will only vote once but your vote will be counted towards as many DICA properties as you own. The votes will be tallied within 2 business days following the elections and the two candidates receiving the most votes will be elected as the new DICA Board Members. An email was sent out to all DICA property owners from the email address “dicommunity@ivotehoa.com”. This email contains a live link for voting. The email also contains your unique 5-digit registration code. This registration code may only be used once.

Submitting your vote is easy! Please follow the step by step instructions listed below:

1. Click the link and it will take you to our personal Daniel Island online voting website through VoteHOANow
  2. Please register to vote with any email you choose. You will then receive a confirmation email notifying you of your registration. If your email is invalid, you will still be able to register to vote but will not get the confirmation email. Please note that if you participated in the 2016 Election, you will already be registered. If you do not remember your registration password, please contact Dani Hermann at Danielle.Hermann@dicommunity.org and she will reset your password for you.
  3. Enter your personal 5-digit registration code. This registration code is your property account number, unique to each Daniel Island address. This registration code may only be used once.
  4. Once you have entered your registration code, the website will allow you to select 2 candidates. After you have made your selection, please hit submit.
  5. After hitting submit, you will be prompted with a pop-up box that will ask you if you would like to continue or if you would like to change your selection. Once you hit “OK” all selections are final and cannot be changed.
  6. Once you have submitted your selection, a confirmation page will appear. You will also receive a confirmation notice by email.

*Please note, you may not change your selection after submitting and hitting “OK”.

If you are experiencing issues with the voting software and can’t successfully submit your vote online, you can come into the POA office between the hours of 8:30 AM and 4:30 PM to cast your vote via paper ballot or you can call Dani Hermann at (843) 971-4405 to cast your vote over the phone.

2018 DICA Board Member Candidates

Greg Turner
1008 Cochran Street

I had the pleasure of representing my neighbors for the past 2 years on the DICA Board. I believe we have brought more transparency to the budget process, updated the reserve study and slowed the growth of dues increases. We established a rainy day fund to anticipate the hurricane damage we incur each year. We will have many new issues over the next 2 years as we head to a transition of a homeowner controlled board. I would welcome the opportunity to serve again.

Glenn Williman
2451 Settlers Street

My wife Jan and I moved to Daniel Island in the summer of 2013 from New Jersey where we raised our two children. Our son and his wife live on the Charleston peninsula, and our daughter and her family, with our two grandchildren, live in Long Island, NY. My wife is a retired middle school teacher and I retired from AT&T after engineering positions in AT&T Labs and Government Solutions. We currently reside in the Smythe Park neighborhood.
I was proud to serve as the president of the Daniel Island Neighborhood Association for two years in 2015 and 2016. Although I was a little unsure of volunteering at first, I look back on my service as a great time. During that time I met and worked with many wonderful neighbors and residents and was a part of efforts which accomplished several island wide projects and initiatives working with the city and the POA. These included expanding single side parking in different neighborhoods, coordinating speed calming requests, advocating with the city for the planned community center and working with DINA committees to initiate the successful school crosswalk safety project.
I think it is important to take advantage of opportunities to serve our community. Being part of the DICA board is a unique way to add a resident voice to the planning and budgeting processes for our Daniel Island neighborhoods south of I-526 and so I would appreciate your vote.

Bob Sauer
246 Beresford Creek Street

Bob and his wife, Ellie, have been residents of Daniel Island for the last twelve years having moved from New Jersey in November of 2005. They reside in Codners Ferry Park.
Bob spent the bulk of his career in the information technology industry having worked for IBM, AT&T and Lucent Technologies. After retiring from the corporate world he spent three years providing personnel counselling to corporate clients (e.g. skills assessment, competency development, career planning, etc.). Before relocating to Daniel Island Bob received his certification in landscape design, a hobby he still enjoys.
Once getting settled in South Carolina Bob became active in the Daniel Island Garden Club and also joined the Charleston Horticultural Society. He played a key role in the design and implementation of many of the garden rooms in front of Daniel Island School.
Bob became an active member of the Daniel Island Neighborhood Association and headed up a four year project to prune street-side trees on Daniel Island. The project received recognition from Trees SC, a state forestry organization, as an example of outstanding community involvement.
Bob serves as president of Angels for Education (A4E), a volunteer organization he founded in 2010 that tutors young at-risk students in order to help improve their literacy and reading skills. A4E operates in four local schools in the greater Charleston area. He also volunteers in the emergency room at MUSC Children’s Hospital.
Bob currently sits on the board of the Daniel Island Historical Society and is a member of the transition team that is laying out a plan for Daniel Island to migrate over time from a developer driven community to one controlled and directed by the residents.
In his spare time Bob enjoys golf, martial arts, landscape design and traveling to great places in the world with his beautiful bride!

Gerald Brooks
1856 Pierce Street

B.S. Electrical Engineering United States Naval Academy 2008
M.S. Systems Engineering Naval Postgraduate School 2015
Vice President USNA ‘08
5 and 10 year reunion coordination committees
Held 3 Junior Officer Positions (Reactor Controls Assistant, Assistant Operations Officer, Communications Officer) on the USS Springfield (SSN-761), a Los Angeles Class Submarine home-ported in Groton, CT.
Assistant Project Manager for Nuclear Command, Control, Communication, Navy (NC3-N) Project at SPAWAR Atlantic.
10 Years Active Duty service in the US Navy (Still active).
I’m single with no kids or pets. Avid Crossfitter (PaleHorse CrossFit).

Colby Hollifield
207 North Ladd Court

S. Colby Hollifield grew up in Summerville, SC and graduated from the College of Charleston with a degree Business Administration in 1988. After meeting his wife, Heather, in California, the couple moved their family back to Daniel Island in 2006. They have three sons; one a freshman at The Citadel; a fourth grader at First Baptist School downtown and another son who lives in California. Colby’s business focuses on conservation development strategies which work to preserve natural environments while increasing landowner value. As Manager of the Middleton Place, LLC, Colby is responsible for implementing these conservation strategies close to home. Active in the community, Colby has coached youth sports for over 10 years, is a current member of the Exchange Club of Charleston, and a former member of the College of Alumni Associate Board of Directors as well as a former member of the Middleton Place Foundation Board.

Sheryll H. Birk
303 South Ladd Court

I have been a resident of Daniel Island since 2009. We moved over here so that our children could attend BE. Both our children have graduated from there and now my husband and I are enjoying being empty nesters. We have lived all over the world and many different states, but always return to Charleston. My background is as an RN and I have worked at Daniel Island Dermatology with Dr. Eleanor Sahn. I am no longer there and will be working at Wellmore of Daniel Island once it opens in March. I have returned to school for a bachelor completion program and will graduate with a degree in Healthcare and Medical Management. I am very interested in local and national politics and have always wanted to get involved, but never knew how to do so. So, I am putting myself out there and hoping that I can make a difference in how Daniel Island continues to be the best place in Charleston to live!