Charleston Among the Nation’s Most Livable Cities
Charleston’s diverse economy and high population growth has helped it earn a spot on a list of “America’s Best Cities To Live,” published in October by 24/7 Wall St., a Northeastern financial news website. At number 33 on the list, Charleston was the only South Carolina city included in this year’s annual round-up.
According to the website, professionals analyzed data for 550 U.S. cities with populations of 65,000 or more. The comparisons included crime rates, employment growth, access to restaurants and attractions, educational attainment and housing affordability.
Among the reasons cited for Charleston’s inclusion on the list:
- The low cost of real estate in the Charleston region
- Our city’s warm, temperate climate
- Charleston’s air quality, noted to be close to the best of any major city included on the list
- Charleston’s many restaurants, museums and hotels – the most per capita in the country
- The region’s strong talent pool and manufacturing sector
Charleston is no stranger to “top city” lists – for years we’ve established a solid reputation as a top destination for visitors. It’s no surprise that the same attributes that attract tourists from around the world are attractive to residents as well.